Saturday, January 18, 2014

CATCHING UP AND SOME NEW MUSIC

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've written. I took an emotional kick in the gut shortly after that last post and quite frankly nothing seemed like fun to me anymore. I am learning to deal with it now and am back, so to speak, in an altered capacity.
 Just before the holidays I learned that a new young friend of mine, Gabe Terracciano had gotten his most recent project published and I wanted to share it with y'all because you won't read about this one in Rolling Stone. This is actually a colaboration with Samuel Ascher-Wiess who uses the nom de plume of  Shnabubula.
 Now Gabe's name may ring a bell with all 6 of my loyal readers because I wrote of my first meeting with Gabe HERE when he and Sam Weiser (a different Sam, please note) opened up for Rushad Eggleston and I have been a fan of both these young guys ever since.
 So on this project Gabe has teamed up with Shnabubula (Sam) to create a sound track for a soon to be released video Game. Now I will be the first to admit that I don't go out searching for video game sound tracks and it never even occurred to me to consider it. But I can see that a lot of work goes into these and it is similar to doing film scores. This score presents a lovely group of enjoyable surprises for an old guy like me and I am glad I learned of it.
 Before I go any further, you can find the music HERE ON BANDCAMP and listen to the entire album. It is available for download on a 'name your price' basis. The video game this music supports is called American Dawn and information about that can be found HERE. The game is not released yet, and as I am not a gamer, you would need to look elsewhere for any reviews on it. The album itself is actually a fund raiser project to support the games development, which I think is a pretty neat idea.
 As far as the music itself goes, what you will find here is delicate and very refined piano and violin compositions which present a most pleasing atmosphere. Relaxing, thought provoking, and comforting are the words that come to my mind. In some cases the music is perky, but in a playful and fanciful way, uplifting if you will and full of optimism. There is good variety here and if you like very smoothly composed pieces of art, I suggest you check it out. Please note that I am not providing a track by track review here because I believe this is best taken as a body of work and I do not feel qualified to render specific comments on work that is of this level. It's just gorgeous stuff (how's that for a technical musical reference?). Enjoy.
Keep The Beat,
Tom
P.S. Happy Birthday Gabe, sorry this took so long.
A blurry Gabe on the left, Sam Weiser on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment