Saturday, October 25, 2014

THIS WEEKEND 10/24-26/14

Yeah I was going to get this out a couple of days ago but I was home sick, fighting off a cold with this lousy Hudson Valley Fall weather egging it on. I did manage to get out for a bit Friday night to catch a house concert with 2 bands, and now I am sorry I didn't get the word out to my friends, although I did try the 'word of mouth' thing. We saw The Whispering Tree, a duo from the Beacon area with lovely songwriting and vocal skills, and In The Kitchen, a relatively new local group that does a mix of their own stuff and re-arranged pieces with very high energy. It was a great evening even if I felt lousy. The concert was (is) a monthly event put on for the benefit of the Sudbury School and takes place at the old Glenford Church (now  private residence). They offer wonderful food prior to and during the performance that is hand prepared and in some cases, hand grown. Usually held on the 3rd Friday of the month (with changes to avoid holidays), you can check out the FB page here.
 As for the stuff you haven't missed yet: The BIG EVENT for the weekend is the Woodstock Invitational Luthiers Showcase, which not only includes the trade show where you can see, and try, some of the most beautiful handmade instruments you have ever laid eyes on, but you can also catch workshops, instrument demonstrations by some of the finest players, AND get more than a few opportunities for some informal Meet and Greets. The show hours are 11am-6pm Saturday and Sunday, (10/25&26). Admission is $20/day or $35 for both . But that's not all. There are a number of events which surround this festival, beginning with the pre-show concert up at Club Helsinki that happened on Thursday Night with Happy Traum and John Sebastian (yeah, we both missed that).  There is also the String Sampler Concert on Saturday Night at the Woodstock Playhouse with David Bromberg, Larry Campbell, and a host of others. This is currently sold out, however, my spies tell me that if you show up at the boxoffice before the show, there MAY be some last minute seats available. If you are local, it's worth a shot. It starts at 8pm and seats are $45 & $55.  (Finally, and I am not sure this is public info, so if you go, just count it as a benefit of reading this here: there is a after party that begins around 9pm on Sunday night at the Colony Cafe on Rock City Rd.. This is where the performing musicians get to relax and let some of the best local talent entertain them with short sets. The musicians are hand picked and invited for maximum effect. Keep this under your hat, OK?)
 So that alone should be enough to fill your weekend, but just in case, I have one more thing for you to consider.  Gilles Malikine & Mik Horowitz will be doing their annual Benefit for the Woodstock Artists Association at the Gallery on Tinker St. Beginning at 7pm cost of entry is $12 for most of us and $8 for members. I don't plan on missing this as I am sure they will have some new material, as always. Brilliant musical cerebral humor at its best. If you have never seen these guys, you should go (you can thank me later), and if you have seen them, well, you are probably already making plans, aren't you?
 There is a ton of other stuff going on in the region this weekend such as the first offering of The Bluegrass Jam up in Lake Placid (which I have my spies reporting in from). We'll be interested to see how this goes and if it takes root. Always good to have another major Bluegrass event in New York to offset the high taxes we pay and the oppressive government we endure.
 Also, I should note that very few seem to have found my previous posts regarding the adventures of late September and early October. Probably this is because I only shared them, at a late hour on FB. Feel free to find them with the links below and share them as you like. I realize it is hard to follow a blog wherein the writer only shows up from time to time and then lays down long winded posts such as I do. But it would be nice to know that more than 3 people have gotten exposure to them. (Don't be afraid to leave comments if you are so inclined, it keeps my interest up.)
I NEED A BIGGER CUP (Part I)
I NEED A BIGGER CUP (Part II)
I NEED A BIGGER CUP (Part III)

Keep the Beat,
Tom

2 comments:

  1. Great Post - thanks for all the info. I'm sure that locals would be welcomed at the Luthiers after-party @ the Colony Cafe - its a pretty laid back setting - no admission charge - just come & hang out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post, reminding me of more cool events that I missed...again!
    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete